Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blog Assignment Three: Brainwashed

This post is based upon the manifesto "Brainwashed, which you can read here.

The manifesto discusses seven "levers" which allow people to achieve success. I've summarized three of these below.


One of the levers Seth Godin mentions in “Brainwashed” is what he calls “Acknowledging the Lizard”. According to Godin, the “lizard” is the part of our brain which fears embarrassment and failure. This portion of our mind, which he says has been present since pre-historic man, keeps us from reaching our full creative potential by embarrassing into conformity. Another of Godin’s levers is “connecting”, which is going out of your way to create an actual personal connection to your consumers through the use of social media as opposed to treating them as tally marks in your list of followers. It also entails truly interacting with the consumer to create a more viable product and a more personal brand. A third lever of Godin’s is “Being Generous” which goes hand-in-hand with “connecting”, generously providing services and gifts to build said connections and increase your personal brand’s worth.

The levers I’ve summarized above strike me, largely due to their similarity to the manifesto delivered by one of my biggest professional inspirations: Gary Vaynerchuk. Gary’s latest book, The Thank You Economy is all about creating generous connections with consumers in order to receive feedback, build brand loyalty, and become a more socially conscious content producer. His previous book, Crush It, discussed “acknowledging the lizard” extensively stating that with the right amount of stubbornness, self-awareness, and capacity for embarrassment anyone can start a profitable business based on their passion.

Reading various professionals opinions and methods in this vein always inspires me as a student and as an artist. I think there’s a lot to be said about those who have achieved personal success and are willing to offer up their personal attitudes and strategies to those aspiring to be their competition. Reading these kinds of manifestos and evaluating them helps me to create my own attitudes toward success, creativity, and the “social web” environment our field is creating. People like Godin and Vaynerchuk have rode in on the first wave of this revolution, but they are more than willing to admit that the tide is building and it will be my generation which ultimately rides the biggest waves of this new phenomenon.

Keeping that in mind, I try to acquire as much advice as I can from these “trailblazers” and “trendsetters” as I can, because I know that I’ll shortly be launched into the same troubled waters they’re traversing. Its inspiring to see their success, but it also motivates me to one-up them and do it bigger and better than they ever dreamed. These stories are becoming increasingly common, and each one is more inspiring than the others, but they all share the same common threads Godin outlines in his manifesto. Seeing these commonalities gives me a roadmap to follow in my pursuit of similar success in my own projects.

In order to succeed in the Thank You Economy I need to: acknowledge my own personal lizard, create art, build connections, be generous, crush it, ship it, and keep those caring about those connections. This becomes increasingly clear to me with every new social network launched, every online retailer that goes public, and each YouTube superstar who records a successful single or becomes a red carpet host at an award show.

In that regard, I think that these exercises are immensely beneficial to me as a student, artist, and even as a person in this day and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment